Monday, February 8, 2010

Quick Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009
So as most of you know Curt is back in the hospital. He was rushed to the ER via ambulance early early Thursday morning with severe pain in his knee and a temp of 102.9. He was transferred to Bethesda and they did a "wash out" surgery on Thursday. He does have an infection. He tested postive for Strep B and the infectious disease doctor was still waiting on the results of the second test. As long as its not staph this treatment he's doing now has a fairly optimistic chance of working. What they did on Thursday is open him up wash out the knee, take out the plastic piece of the implant and put in antibiotic beads. They will repeat this same procedure on Monday and again on Thursday. Then the following Monday they will see how it looks. He will also be on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. He has also gotten two blood transfusions so far. And the medicine he's on is causing him really bad hallucinations and he's blabbering nonsense. Its actually kind of scary. The only way I can explain it is like he's trippin' on acid.

It just sucks because his surgeon deployed to Iraq yesterday. So he's not around anymore. He is hoping though this will work, this is not a staph infection, and we won't have to worry about the other three options. If this doesn't work we can do three things. One--take out the whole implant and try to do another one. The chances of that working though he said are very very slim. Two--knee fusion. Curt already stated he will NOT do that. Thats basically fusioning his knee together and he will be unable to bend it. Three--amputate.

The next week is critical. I'm praying with all my might that this works and we won't have to make any kind of major decison!! Its awful. I thought this stress was done. Sigh....Im thankful for my friends. Most thankful for Tracey and Josh for rushing up here to be with us. It filled me with so much appreciation for friends and what good friends will do for you. I find it sad that my friends are willing to do more than any of my family or Curt's. No one in either of our families offered to come up. I cried when Tracey said "we are coming now!". It meant alot to me to have them here. I'm forever grateful for that. As I'm bawling my eyes out now! hahaha
I just want to say to my friends thank you for your calls and texts, and well wishes. I love you girls. Its a good feeling to know who we can count on. :)


Anyway, thats my quick blog. I have to go blow my nose now and dry my eyes!
Please continue to pray for Curt, this past two years, one month and eleven days has been a very long road......I hope one of these days we can close this chapter and move on....

No comments:

Post a Comment