June 4, 2007
Well, for those who already know the last four days and what is to come is such a test for us, but we will survive.
Early saturday morning Curt called me at 3:50 am saying his truck had been hit again by a roadside bomb and he was currently in Baghdad having just got out of surgery. I said do you still have everything? He said yes he suffered wounds to his legs. I could barely understand him thanks to the drugs I'm sure.
The Dept of the Army called me at exactly 8:00 am to tell me what had happened to Curt. He suffered shrapnel wounds to his left leg. Shrapnel is pieces of metal that have gone in his skin. He was going to Germany for two more surgeries.
Curt called yesterday, still in Iraq, sounded a little better. He has a broken right leg, completely broken, his right arm is broken, his index finger, and the shrapnel to his left leg. He said he was going to Germany the next day. I asked him whether he thought we would be going back to Iraq, He said no he is out for a long time.
The DOA called me again this morning to tell me Curt was just arriving in Germany. Once he is evaluated by the doctors I should get more information on whether or not they will send for me to come or just wait until he arrives at Walter Reed in D.C.
This is incredibly the harderst thing to go thru. Our third tour and we have been so lucky. He is alive and for that I am thankful. This recovery road will be bumpy I'm sure, but we will get thru it. We are Army Strong after all!
He just kept repeating how he couldn't believe this happened again, for those who know his truck was hit by a roadside bomb only three weeks ago! But we are lucky this is not life threatening and he will be fine!
on a lighter note, he said when the Col and Gen. came in to present him his purple heart he said they told him he was so out of it he was talking about birds on the wall and some crazy shit!
Of course this is a tough situation for him. He is not going to want to leave his soldiers over there while he is here. That is going to be the hardest thing for him I think. He's going to want to BE there with them. Thats just the soldier in him ya know.
Well, I have not cried and everyone keeps telling me how strong I am being and such. Well, why should I cry, he's alive, he can talk, for all of that I am thankful. Why do that to myself? As for the rest of our guys over there I know they are worried about him so I sent an email to his buddy and he was so thankful I updated them, they were wondering of course. And thanks to everyone who called and stopped by. It means alot.
No comments:
Post a Comment