Monday, February 8, 2010

Just Thinking

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Current mood: thoughtful
so being here at Walter Reed for the past two months has been almost a life changing experience in some ways. To see this different side of the war and all these young (and when I say young I mean YOUNG) men have been through. And there positive outlook on life is amazing. I met a few days ago two of the men who have been here the longest. One arrived here on June 13, 2003--yes I said 2003!!!- and the other four days later. Four years-I can't even imagine. One has had 35 surgeries including plastic surgery-and the other 24 surgeries including plastic. I thought our 9 surgeries were bad! LOL

anyway--I wish more people would take the time out of their day just to stop and say thank you to someone serving. This side of the war I never really thought about before. These young men and women almost lost there lives for us. They deserve only the best in care and in life. Curt was lucky that his injuries weren't worse. If he had been still laying down when that bomb exploded he wouldn't be here right now. In the 2 seconds it took him to sit up glance outside--that is what saved his life. A mere split second.

And how do some of these guys deal with being the only one who survived out of their truck or bradley, whatever they were in or around. That is heartbreaking. I met a guy wo was the only survivor out of 6. Why is he the lucky one? Sometimes it is just mind boggling and overwhelming to me.

I am so grateful to our troops. I am so proud of them and so very proud of my husband. To go thru hell and have survived us who have never been to war and experienced and traumatic event will never understand. I have the utmost respect for those who our no longer here and paid the ultimate price. Seeing this other side of the war besides the happy homecomings is so moving. Instead of having my husband come home in one piece we were reunited under stressful and traumatic conditions. Something that will affect us for the rest of our lives.

I have a wife I won't mention a name--who has basically snubbed me and was kinda rude and said must be nice your husband is home! What a bitch!! First of all my husband is home because he was INJURED. It is not something I wish on anybody. We have to heal now. We will be going to daily appointments and doctors long after your husband is home in ONE PIECE. He will come home and go back to normal life. My husband on the other hand may NEVER make a full recovery it will take two years for him to even get close to normal. Curt has said repeatedly how he wishes he was in Iraq instead of here. He wishes for anything to be able to WALK which is still a month away before he can even bear weight. So yeah--she is cut off from me now!!

anyway--I went in all directions here so I will stop my rambling now. I just wanted to let ya'll know how this experience has changed me.
God Bless our troops and God Bless you all.

Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment