Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life Choices

Are hard to make! For the past two weeks I have been researching Master's programs. I know, I know...way ahead of myself since I don't even have my BA yet, but I like to plan and have direction. I go back and forth on what I want to do. I've been researching colleges like crazy and also going back and forth to the APA (American Psychological Association) and NASP (national association of school psychologists) to see what colleges are accredited through each association. Well the APA only accredits doctorate programs since really, that is all that counts in the psych field. And the NASP accredits both master's and doctorate.

What I want to do is be a school psychologist as I have stated before. When I get my PhD or PsyD, is where I get confused on what I want. Eventually, yes I would want to get my license as a clinical or counseling psychologist and be able to have my own practice. Of course that is the ultimate dream for a psychologist. But I also would love to get my PhD in school psychology and work at that level. I would love to be in the school setting working with kids (particularly high school kids) and help them make life decisions to achieve their goals and also help them with the issues teenagers face in their personal lives. That is what I would love.

As I get older, yes...I will be 30 very shortly..sigh. I eventually want to get my PhD or PsyD like I stated. But that will come much later as I won't do that to my kids until they are older. The program is offered at Auburn University and that is a good 45 minutes away from Columbus. That is my dream eventually and I hope to make that happen. It is extremely competitive though, which is another thing I have to take into account. I'll be getting my masters from either Columbus State or Capella online, both accredited through NASP of course. With my masters (in school psych) I will be working in Columbus somewhere at a school. So when I do start my doctorate I will have to put that on the back burner since it is a 5-6 year degree plan. Like I said it is also competitive. Extremely. As in 160 applicants at Auburn last year and only 8 were excepted into the program! Yup...odds are slim. But you have to fight for what you want. And as long as I continue to push for it, I will get there, even if it takes me years to get in! :)

I'm finding school right now to be boring. It's not stimulating enough for me. I want MORE. I'm bored in my classes. I'm getting all A's which is awesome of course, but I feel like I'm not doing enough. Even this math class I was so worried about. I only have problems with fractions. For some reason fractions and me don't get along. I just don't get it. I can practice and practice but I can't get fractions. Other than that it's easy. I can do algebraic expressions and polynomials, and equations no problem! I'm gonna take on more classes starting next month. I think I need a bigger work load. This two classes at a time is not enough. So I'm taking three or four at a time.

Which also has me worried because I'm scared I'll take on too much, then we have school starting for kaylie and girl scouts AND we'll be moving in Dec or Jan. I think sometimes I just like stress and the more on my plate I have the better I do. I don't know. I'm weird I guess!

Other than me making my life decisions its boring around here. No updates on anything! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment