So our move went well! Smooth sailing so far. It's kind of scary how perfect everything went. I was so worried about Brandon on the long flight but he never cried a single time the whole trip. I was so proud of him! It was an exhausting day and I don't like a direct flight from Chicago to Honolulu. Next time I want it broken up with a layover somewhere. Nine hours on one plane is exhausting. I had been up since 3:30 that morning we flew out and went to bed at 7 pm Hawaii time which to me was midnight. So I was up for almost 24 hours. We are slowly adjusting to the time change though.
My first impression of Hawaii was that it is absolutely stunning. It's so beautiful here. I know I am just going to love it. I can feel it already! The weather is damn near perfect. I am so glad and feel so blessed to be given the opportunity to live here. It's just breathtaking every time I walk outside and see the views of the mountains. I will love to wake up to that every day. This is "home" for the next three years.
I must say , as we drove around the day after we arrived that the Waikiki area is very nice. Lots of homeless people around though, which freak me out. They stink, and just scary the bejeezus out of me. I'm not comfortable around people like that. So that took some of the beauty away. Also, if you drive away from the touristy area Hawii IS kind of run down looking. Curt said it was probaby beautiful in 1970, but nothing has been updated since. That stuff aside though, it is stunning here and I am looking forward to enjoying the next few years living here and ejoying the "Aloha" culture. I can't wait to explore Oahu and the other islands and try some authentic Hawaiian cuisine!
ETA: Now that we have been here for a week, I have to change my opinion on the run down look of Hawaii. The houses look like huts and I think that is part of the beautiful culture here. They live so simple here and enjoy what Hawaii has to offer. I now find the huts to be charming.
So now that we have been here a week, I can say I am falling even more in love with Oahu every day! I can't wait to explore more and I can't wait to make it to visit the other islands!
Hawaii is such an awesome place and it almost feels like "home" to me. We are happy!
We got a house in two days that we were on the wait list too. We will be living on Wheeler Army Airfield, which is adjacent to Schofield Barracks. It's kind of out of the way and secluded from the hustle and bustle of Schofield. I don't know if I like that yet. I would have liked to be close to the school and the commissary and PX. And we are not. Our housing division is all by itself tucked in the back. But we will see how it is once we move in. We are scheduled to move in the beginning of January. So not too terribly long. :)
I must say , as we drove around the day after we arrived that the Waikiki area is very nice. Lots of homeless people around though, which freak me out. They stink, and just scary the bejeezus out of me. I'm not comfortable around people like that. So that took some of the beauty away. Also, if you drive away from the touristy area Hawii IS kind of run down looking. Curt said it was probaby beautiful in 1970, but nothing has been updated since. That stuff aside though, it is stunning here and I am looking forward to enjoying the next few years living here and ejoying the "Aloha" culture. I can't wait to explore Oahu and the other islands and try some authentic Hawaiian cuisine!
ETA: Now that we have been here for a week, I have to change my opinion on the run down look of Hawaii. The houses look like huts and I think that is part of the beautiful culture here. They live so simple here and enjoy what Hawaii has to offer. I now find the huts to be charming.
So now that we have been here a week, I can say I am falling even more in love with Oahu every day! I can't wait to explore more and I can't wait to make it to visit the other islands!
Hawaii is such an awesome place and it almost feels like "home" to me. We are happy!
We got a house in two days that we were on the wait list too. We will be living on Wheeler Army Airfield, which is adjacent to Schofield Barracks. It's kind of out of the way and secluded from the hustle and bustle of Schofield. I don't know if I like that yet. I would have liked to be close to the school and the commissary and PX. And we are not. Our housing division is all by itself tucked in the back. But we will see how it is once we move in. We are scheduled to move in the beginning of January. So not too terribly long. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment