So we had our EFMP screening to move to Hawaii on Friday. Let me start off by saying we had to go to Fort Myer to do it and yeah its only like 10 miles away, but with traffic we were worried on what time to leave. Curt said we should leave at 8 to make our 10 am appointment. So we left a little after 8, stopped and got some munchkins from Dunkin Donuts and then went on are way. There was absolutely zero traffic! We got there at 8:40! So what do we do now??? We sat in the parking lot of the PX waiting for them to open at 9 and just walked around their tiny little PX for 40 minutes. hahaha
We basically just sat in the one section of toys they have and let the kids play. Fun. So then we go to our appointment and of course are not even called back until 10:40. Go figure right! Brandon was awful. All that he wanted to do was run around and bother people. OMG. He is so at that age where he is ridiculous if he is not strapped into a stroller. Curt ended up taking him outside. When we got called back it only took about 20 minutes for the doctor to go over our medical records and sign us all off as good to go.
Once we got home Curt took the paperwork back up to his S1 to send on over to the lady who does the orders. We should get them in about two weeks she said. Thankfully she can approve our orders as long as we have no EFMP issues, so it should go quicker than sending it to Hawaii and back to be approved. That's a plus!
So now we wait for our orders to be cut, then we can schedule the movers and get our plane tickets, and figure out when we want to ship our car. Getting excited!!
We looked into refinancing my car, but it wouldn't be worth it. It wouldn't save us that much money and the interest rate barely went down, so we passed. We also will get our money deposited tomorrow for the total loss of Curt's truck. That is so gonna help us as far as a down payment on a new car once we arrive. We still fluctuate back and forth on whether to buy or lease. I guess we will just wait and see what the best options are when we get there.
We have been researching cars and I have a list on what cars we are interested in. Hopefully Hawaii has a good inventory of vehicles. So far what I have been looking at online is not very promising.
I want to go with an SUV. This is the list I made as to the order of vehicles sorted by starting price and gas mileage. Because of course, I have to look at the whole package and not just the look of the car. :)
1) Toyota Highlander $28,090 20/25 mpg
2) Ford Explorer $28,170 20/28 mpg
3) Honda Pilot $28,470 18/25 mpg
4) Nissan Pathfinder $28,570 15/22
5) Chevy Traverse $29,430 17/24
6)Toyota 4Runner $30,305 17/23
7)GMC Acadia $32,000 17/24
No 3rd row seating that we like are
Ford Edge (I really like) and Jeep Grand Cherokee and GMC Terrain
If we go with a truck it is the Ford F-150 or the Dodge Ram 1500.
Ford starts at $22, 990 and gets 17/23
Dodge starts at 20,810 and gets 14/20
I think the SUV is our best bet. I don't necessarily like all the cars on this list. I just researched cars and wrote down prices and gas mileage. It looks like right out the bat the Pathfinder is out, it gets horrible gas as does the Ram.
Once we get to Hawaii, or even possibly before if we want to start looking at them in person here, we will go and start test driving and get the feel for the vehicles we like best.
Car shopping is so hard!!
If I had my chocie I would get a van and get the Honda Odyssey.
Anyway, so everything we can do is done as far as paperwork, thinks will pick up here fast. It still doesn't seem real to me that we are moving to Hawaii. When we land in Honolulu I will have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming or not. LOL
Can't wait to car shop and get this stuff over with!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment