Sunday, September 2, 2012

What will our future hold??

Little update on me...I decided to stick it out with AMU and finish there. I have about a year and a half left. I went ahead and signed up for all my fall and winter classes so now I am scheduled through the end of March for school with all of my scholarship money so I won't be paying a dime for any of these classes. That's the good news I guess. I guess I should also just be thankful I will be exiting college with very minimal student loans as compared to most. I still dread that payment though. Ugh....haha

Anyway, so last night me and Curt started talking about his career and his fear of not getting promoted due to his injury. We have a little over two years left in Hawaii. I was googling last night and found the armor E7 promotion board prereq's. Curt needs to start taking advantage of any military school he can. They look at that for promotion to SFC. After the new year he will be going to SLC (formerly called ANCOC) which is the school to get promoted to E7 (or SFC). That is a two month long school back at Fort Benning. I also have been trying to get him to sign up for a specialty position because it looks excellent on your record and pretty much guarantees promotion. For awhile now I have been talking to him about becoming a recruiter and how nice it would be to move home for three years. He is against the idea, because he hates the idea of recruiting, but it would look so good on his record. He can do that or be an instructor back at Benning. So in 2013 he will be working on all the schools he can and then once we have 6-12 months left until our DEROS (date we leave Hawaii, which is Dec 2014) he can put in his packet for either recruiting or instructor.

This is all if he doesn't get picked up for E7 in the next two years. The E7 board only meets once a year in February usually and they release the list around April/May of each year. So by 2014 if he has not been picked up for it, those are our two options. I wouldn't mind either choice. I think being a recruiter would be good for him and it fits within his limited profile. And it would be pretty cool to be back in Illinois or Iowa for awhile. If you volunteer for recruiting instead of being DA selected (the army forces you to be a recruiter) you get to choose three locations to be stationed at and you are pretty much guaranteed one of those three areas for volunteering for recruiting duty. He does have the cadre time on his records from Benning, but I don't think that would look as good as recruiting or instructing.

We shall see. Planning for the future is hard!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment