I always wonder if people really listen when other people talk. One of the things that bothers me most in life is when I have a problem, want to vent, whatever the case may be and try and talk to someone about it...They either A) interrupt me B) as soon as I am done telling my story they start their own or C) say "me too," then start telling me about their own problems, vents, whatever. Sometimes I just want people to LISTEN to me and let me tell my story and problems/vents, without it turning into them and their problems/vents. I know we all do it, but for the record, I try really hard not to.I know people do it as a way to try and relate to my problem/vents/issues, but honestly it just makes me feel like you didn't hear me. It just bugs me when I am talking to someone about an issue I am having or just want someone to give ME advice and they always end up turning it around. It really bugs me. Are we really that self centered we always have to have the conversation about us? I mean, this goes for me too. I work on that everytime I am listening to someone else. Here is a quote I love:
"You have two ears and one mouth, listen twice as much as you
talk."
Listen, really listen.
Don't interrupt.
Ask questions.
Speak clearly and easily, but not too much.
Don't talk about yourself,
Or interrupt.
My grandma has great conversational skills. She asks questions. She listens. She pauses
and comments thoughtfully. She looks like she genuinely wants to hear what I
say. She makes it easy to talk about subjects I rarely talk about. She doesn't
follow up with her own story to make me wonder if she was listening. Never once
does she say, "Me, too."
Good conversation benefits from intelligence and wit, but requires
sincerity. It isn't about finding common interests so much as it's about
expressing thoughts, and thoughts don't need to have anything in common except
for the two people discussing them.
My gripe for tonight. Did you really listen to me? Or are you relating it to yourself and saying "me too?" ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment