Sunday, April 11, 2010

Decisons, decisions!!

Curt left today to go to San Antonio to train for archery for the Wounded Warrior Games in May. He'll be gone a week. Hopefully I can keep my head together since I have a HUGE research paper due on Sunday for History. I am doing the Battles of the American Revolution. Should be fun to write. HA. I am now wishing I would have chosen to do the Civil War. I find it much more interesting than the Revolution, but whatever. It'll be fine. This is my last two weeks of my History and English class. Then I have a week break before starting my next History class the first week of May. After that I am taking a month off since we'll be going home end of June early July and I don't want to have to be stressed out with school and trying to visit everyone.

Like I said the Wounded Warrior games are the second week of May in Colorado Springs. I've decided not to go, since they don't pay for families to travel, we don't want to spend 1300 bucks for us to go. That's money better saved. We are saving as much as we can. If Curt gets out of the army we will be buying a house, and I would like to have a good size down payment for that. This med board crap is starting to scare me. The paperwork has been submitted and now we are just waiting on his PEBLO liason to call him to begin the process. Curt is starting his last month of physical therapy, then he will just continue to go a couple times a week after that to keep his range of motion good. As far as the Med Board, I don't know too much about how it works. I know there are like 3 or 4 phases to it. I was talking to this one girl who's hubby just finished his board and has put on TDRL (temporary disability retirement list) which took 10 months!
That makes me nervous because Curt's ETS date is this November. Our ID's and Decals expire then. But apparently they can extend it up to 90 days while he finishes the med board.

Curt is actually still undecided on what he wants. There are a couple options I've been talking to him about. Stay in the army and stay a scout. He can transfer back to Benning and work at the Armor School the rest of his career. Transfer to Troy State in AL which offers his degree and finish up his Bachelor's and Master's while still serving. Then he can retire and get an awesome job with his degree's and his TS clearance. As will I. I would transfer to Columbus State and use the Hope scholarship which is free for military spouses stationed in GA. He said he doesn't like that idea though because he doesn't want to be stuck in one job forever. I told him that look at the real world. People work the same job their whole lives. It's no different.

2nd option is to reclass to MI and still finish his degrees before retiring.

3rd option is to medically retire (which he would get PDRL--permanent disablity retirement list), meaning his disabilities are permanent and will not be getting better, which they won't of course, and we move back to Columbus. Buy a house. Both of us transfer schools. He uses his GI bill and I use the HOPE scholarship. We get our degrees and then get great jobs. We would be set financially with all we have saved, including the down payment for our house. Plus his retirement money, social security benefits, and BAH still.

Any option actually works out well. It is just deciding what he wants to do. He has to let the PEBLO know that he intends to do COAD (continuation on active duty) if he stays in. It's just a huge ordeal and I'm nerous about what is going to happen.

Anyways! Other than all THAT stress. Things are moving along. Brandon had his six month check up last week. He is doing great. Weighs 16.3 lbs. Is a smiley, happy baby! He loves all his baby food, except peas. That is the only thing he refuses to eat. haha

Well, that's it for now. Gotta go hold down the fort while Daddies away. Kaylie has a friend over right now playing and I'm gonna get some stuff done (hopefully) before Brandon wakes up from his nap.

1 comment:

  1. I personally like option A.. and I think its because Curt gets to stay in the Army which is somehting I think he wants to do.. He may be in the same job forever, but with military you can still do things to spice it up.. like schools and ranges and what not.. Thats better than any civilian job he will be in forever.. Thats why i liked the army.. one day I was doing paper work, one day physical labor, then drivers training.. then weapons.. Always different.! Either option sounds great tho. I talked to him on FB Im one night and I told him I hope everything works out for him.. I couldnt imagine being a wounded soldier in his position..

    ReplyDelete