June 1st is a couple days away. That is a huge day in our lives that holds so much good and so much bad in our lives. June 1st, 1999 is when we started dating. Yup, we have been together thirteen long roller coaster years!! June 1st, 2007 is when Curt was blown up by an IED in Iraq. June 1st, 2009 is when Curt had his total knee replacement at the NNMC in Bethesda. July 6th, 2009 that knee replacement became infected and he almost lost his leg. One of the worst days in our lives.I can't believe its been five years already! This has been the most trying time in our lives, and everyday I think about how much our lives have changed in five years. Five years ago was the "end of the world", my husband's life was forever changed by his injuries and he had to make so many personal changes in his life. For someone who loved playing basketball, being told he would never run up and down a court again was devastating. He became so depressed and miserable. At times during the past five years we have reached different stages of coping with his injuries, from PTSD, depression, anxiety, euphoria, suicidal thoughts and actions, and drug dependency. For myself it brought anxiety and depression issues. Reflecting back on all of this brings lots of different emotions. We have come so far, yet we still struggle with it some days. I am so grateful I still have a husband here and not six feet under ground. We are still fighting the demons together that come up to haunt us and try to bring us back down, but every day is a new day and every day brings hope that we will survive this! After going through all that we have, I think we can take on anything! We are strong! Nothing will break us!
This year Curt wants to celebrate the fifth anniversary of his injury. In the wounded warrior world they call it "alive day" where you are supposed to celebrate that you are alive and still kicking it in this world. We will probably have a BBQ or something if he wants. I don't know what the plan is. I was kind of shocked when he said he his alive day was coming up and wanted to do something for the fifth anniversary. He has never, ever wanted to celebrate this day before so it took be aback for a moment.
Well, school is out for summer! I officially have a fourth grader. I can't believe it! We hiked Diamond Head this past weekend which was a really easy hike! I am finding I enjoy hiking more than I enjoy the beach. I am ready to do some more hikes! We are talking of having the baby-sitter come so we can hike Monoa Falls this weekend. I would also love to attempt Koko head soon in preparations for my hike with a few friends up the "stairway to heaven", which is 3,922 stairs, in a couple weeks! aagghh! I will hurt for days after that I am sure!
No big plans this summer, just gonna get out and explore the island! Do as much as we can, My brother and niece come in August and I am every excited about that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment