Thursday, February 16, 2012

Real estate on my mind....

So now that I am back in school I have been doing a lot of thinking. Right now I am taking a real estate class and learning all about that of course. And now my obsession with House Hunters and HGTV in general has come back full force. So I have been thinking. While we are here in Hawaii I want to save as much as possible. The plan right now is to save all of our COLA (cost of living adjustment) each month. We have a very cushy savings right now, but I want to put all of our COLA in a separate account from regular savings and save it just for a house. I want to put a very nice down payment on a house. That will allow us to get a house that is over what we could afford with no down payment. I think it would be awesome to do. So if we could save our COLA-- and we get close to $900 a month for that--for the next three years we would have a very nice, cushy down payment. I would love to be able to get a bigger, more expensive house than what we could get with nothing down. So that is our goal. I am really hoping we can still to it. I think the advantages of doing this will be so worth it in the long run. I am beyond ready to settle down and buy a house. I have been ready for the last few years. Getting through the next three years and saving as much as we can is key. We spend so much on junk and throw money away left and right that we need to put ourselves on a budget.

I just watched an episode of House Hunters with these two college graduates who were 23 and 24. They just moved from Colorado to Florida for their new jobs and this guy had saved 90% of his checks he earned working in college just for a down payment on their new home. It was great! To be able to put that much money down they could afford a $300,000 house. That is what I want too! This is my new goal. Wish me luck!! I know we can do it if we really try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment