Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finally!

Curt's branch manager called today to let him know his COAD was approved. Yay!!!! Finally. We have waited for that for soooo long!
He does not have to reclass which is great, because he really didn't want to. From here he meets with his AW2 rep and this guy on the phone tomorrow to go over more details. Curt has to make a 5 year plan and work on his orders. He also has to reenlist and we don't know when that happens. We have to wait for his COAD packet to come back to Belvoir from Fort Knox where HRC is. His branch manager said due to the options that we want we have two choices. For Hawaii we have retention NCO. That is all that is open right now. His BM told him that he cannot return to a regular unit so his only options are TRADOC units mostly and instructing, things of that nature. For Benning there are tons of jobs available for him mostly instructing at the armor school. So we have to make a choice and I am so torn.

I honestly do not know what to do. A part of me longs for the stability and to me that trumps traveling around. Having my kids stabilized means the most to me over anything else. Being somewhere where I have a strong support system is also important. Career wise it is in mine and Curt's best interest to go back to Benning. We have tons of friends there, including two of my closest friends, and it just has the better opportunities for advancement overall. As far as Hawaii, I really have nothing there. We now only know one couple over there since everyone else we did know that was in Hawaii has since PCS'd or ETS'd over the past few months. My heart pulls me to Benning, but like Curt said since we do have to move at least one more time, we might as well get it out of the way now.

I think Hawaii would be great and quite the adventure. Its a place I have been talking about going ever since Curt joined the army. I want to do what is best for my entire family and I like to think long term...so is moving to paradise worth it? Guess we'll find out! Stay tuned.

1 comment: