Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh so lonely

Curt is in Colorado at the Wounded Warrior games. I'm so proud of him doing so well. He took silver for archery and tonight is the gold medal match for basketball. Either way he will be bringing home two medals. I'm glad he did this. I think it helped his morale to be competing in sports. I know how much he misses playing real basketball.
He'll be home Saturday evening. Which I can't wait for! As much as he gets on my nerves sometimes I do miss him when he is gone. :)

Brandon is keeping me busy and on my toes. He is cruising all around the house now. I can't leave him alone for even a second! His new fascination is with the cat dishes. He has got his little grubby hands in those dishes numerous times. He is all over! He does like pots and pans and a wooden spoon though! He was in Heaven with that while I cooked dinner.

We had Kaylie's field trip to DC last Friday. What an adventure that was! All of us parents were assigned four girls to watch. We had to carry water and their snacks in backpacks. So my backpack was probably at least 15 lbs. It was pretty nice that day and of course we got stuck in traffic on the way there. Once we got there our first stop was the Lincoln memorial. It was jam packed with other kids on field trips and tourists as well. There was this family that was Chinese/Japanese and every time we got the kids in a group photo to take a picture at every stop this family would be taking pictures of the class as well. Getting up close and snapping pictures. It was soooo weird! It was kind of funny, but another mom said that the Japanese really love to take pictures of Americans. When they were stationed in Japan they would constantly get their picture taken by the locals. They are amazed at the American's and how they have blonde hair blue eyes. It's quite humorous!

Anyway, the kids didn't really care about the monuments. They had more fun running around as we chased them and they cared more about the baby ducks that were in the reflecting pool. We probably walked three miles that day all around. It was exhausting!

I can't believe the school year is almost over. A little over a month to go and we will have a 2nd grader! Time sure does fly. My brother is coming out here mid June as well, which I am so excited for. We plan on going to Six Flags one day, and I would love to take him around and see some of the city he didn't get to see when he came down in 2007 when Curt was in the hospital still. That was a whirlwind time and we didn't get to see much. So I'm definitely looking forward to that.
My history class ends the week he gets here then I will be free for a month until my classes start back up in August. I signed up for a Literature class and a math class. I'm looking forward to having a break for the summer.

We have also decided what we are doing. As much as I still lean towards retirement and ending our time in the army. We have agreed that Curt is going to do COAD (continuation on active duty), which will get approved since the AW2 wounded soldiers are at 100% acceptance into the COAD program. He is going to finish his Bachelors on the army's dime, then get out and use his GI bill for his Master's. It's a win/win situation. Either way COAD or not, we will be moving back to Benning. He'll probably just get an instruction job at the Armor School for the next however many years it takes him to get his degree. Since COAD has no time limit it can be for as many years ad he chooses. He will still go through his PEB (physical evaluation board) that way when he chooses to stop COAD he won't have to go through the board again. They will just rate him at that point.

I'm excited about this opportunity and feel that it is the best decision.Even though I was all for seeing one more duty station, I feel like our time in the army is done. Let's finish this out and move on with our lives. He has definitely paid his dues to the military. It's time to move on and start our careers. I'm excited to settle down in Columbus, we're well on our way to buying our house, and raise our children there. Georgia is "home". I miss it, and can't wait to get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment